Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The KFC Double Down


You couldn't say you didn't expect this. For those of us who have yet to have been informed, the KFC Double Down is a new bunless chicken sandwich presented by KFC. Some call it a heart attack, others call the paramedics, regardless it is the ultimate sandwich, in my professional opinion. (Yes I'm a prefessional. I'm paid in the laughter and smiles on delighted childrens faces when they read my blog.) This baby is a whopping two pieces of bacon smothered in the Colonel's special sauce that's pressed between two pieces of cheese (Monterey Jack and pepper jack) all smushed between two (have you caught on to the double concept?) pieces of chicken on either side. This bad boy comes in the traditional fried chicken or for the healthier, lamer food connoisseur there's the grilled chicken version. If you're looking to eating this sandwich you're looking at 540 fried calories or 460 grilled calories. Either 32 fried grams of fat or 23 grilled grams of fat. And lastly, 1380 grams of tasty fried sodium or 1430 of lame grilled sodium. I suggest that only healthy people with healthy arteries eat this meal because it might be your last otherwise. Don't believe my nutrition info? Read it and weep, my friends, read it and weep.

Being the awesome people my boyfriend and I are we recreated this sandwich. (This is also partly due to the fact that we couldn't find a ride to KFC on Friday night but this was better anyways.) So we went to Publix and got the ingredients and my gift to you, I'm going to teach you how to recreate the one Amani and I made. Our ingredients did vary from the ingredients listed on this site and if you'd like to recreate the exact think then you should follow the actual site instead. We went to Publix and first sought out two fat pieces of good ol' chicken milk sacs (breasts). Then we hunted some bacon and here we used beef bacon rather than the traditional pork. We then needed cheese so we went to the deli man. He basically refused to slice us some Monterey Jack and pepper jack and forced us to buy a higher quality cheese. Then he proceeded to tell us that we sounded pathetic and how the cheese we wanted was garbage. We ended up getting Havarti and using two slices of it on each sandwich. We took the fat chicken breasts and sliced down the middle so they were thin and we fried them in a simple batter with flour, cornmeal, seasoning salt, and garlic powder. The bacon was cooked in a pan regularly. Now comes the sauce. We didn't have paprika so we used chili powder instead. Mostly mayonnaise and ketchup with some of "Frank's Red Hot Sauce" which Amani informed me is really more hot sauce than buffalo sauce. We added some garlic powder and the recently stated chili powder and then smothered it on our sandwiches. The difference between our sandwich and KFC's? Ours likely contained more nutrition. The chicken, cheese, and bacon were all of higher quality. Not a bad way to spend a Friday night.

4 comments:

  1. I have been seeing commercials all about the new KFC sandwich! I am planning on trying this tasty treat soon no matter how fattening and greasy that thing is! What you did was so creative and so much better for you, maybe I should try that instead.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is crazy!! Massive over the top prime definition of fast food. Just when i thought it could be worse they replace bread with fried chicken . I mean yeah it looks amazing and i bet tastes amazing but dang this is like KFC's atomic bomb. Its a funny idea and I think Americans will like it. Go figure haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's intense. I don't think I would ever be able to finish one of those KFC chicken things. But I would probably be able to eat and enjoy yours. It is amusing how someone created something so caloric and also the fact that people will eat it, possibly knowing how many calories they are consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the commercials for these things and it looks so gross. This sandwhich is horrible for someone and is very greasy. I will never try this sandwhich since it doesn't appeal to me in any way.

    ReplyDelete