Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A different kind of sushi.



Holland is an interesting place. Legal marijuana, the red light district, need I say more? Well, they just got much more interesting. The Dutch have a traditional delicacy of raw herring. Herring is a fish, in case you didn't know. They eat it raw after the head's been removed and the body's been cleaned and cured with salt. They eat it with raw onion and/or pickles. It is consumed by grabbing the fish tail first and letting it slide down your mouth gradually. This fish is also consumed in sandwich form.

On the Dutch holiday of "Vlaggetjesdag" (little flag day), the first catch of the year is auctioned off for charity. The highest recorded bid was 40k euros. These first fish usually go for tens of thousands of euros.

1 comment:

  1. This food and the way they eat it seems very interesting. I eat raw salmon when I go to sushi places like Moon , but not in this form. I hate Onions and pickles so I probably wouldn't like it, but who's knows im not opposed to trying new things. This is for sure an interesting food choice and if I ever go to Holland ill be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete