Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Barbacoa


Today in class Mrs. Stoklosa asked us about food and our family and I brought up barbacoa. Max asked me what it was traditionally made out of and I told him but I didn't get to finish answering him so this blog is for Max and anyone else who was interested in barbacoa.

Where barbacoa originates is a bit fuzzy. There are some who say it originated in Mexico and others who claim it originated in Barbados. Wherever it originated, they had the right idea. I'm going to discuss the mexican style barbacoa simply because that is what I'm most familiar with. The barbacoa described today in class was barbacoa de cabeza. It is the barbequed meat from the cow head, most often the cheeks. Barbacoa can also be pork, which, at this point, is called a carnita. Barbacoa de cabeza is served more often in Texas rather than Mexico. In Mexico they make a more traditional barbacoa with, more often, lamb. It can also be made with fish, goats, chicken, and the previously stated types of barbacoa. Traditionally, you would eat barbacoa on a warm corn tortilla with some guacamole and/or salsa for added flavor.

Nowadays the term barbacoa has become a loose term for meat steamed until it is tender. I blame the whole tex-mex scene for that. Barbacoa should be kept the delectable, traditional food it is.

Growing up I ate barbacoa every Sunday from a little Mexican bakery. I did not add guacamole or salsa because the meat is delicious on it's own. If you ever go to Texas I would most definitely recommend eating some traditional barbacoa. I've also had lamb barbacoa and it was most delightful, another recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment